The Contrada del Drago was among the first to appear in public celebrations on the Campo. Along with Giraffa, Chiocciola, and Onda, it participated in a "Pugna," organized in honor of Cardinal St. Malò on March 1, 1494. Results from recent research document its existence as early as 1481, and significantly, outside of participation in public events. The Contrada includes the ancient Military Companies of San Donato da’ Montanini and Sant’Egidio del Poggio Malavolti. It probably took its emblem and name from the mythical animal depicted on the crest of the former. Some believe instead that the name and emblem could derive from the Borghesi family's coat of arms: a yellow dragon on a green field, while others think it might have adopted the emblem from the Benincasa's family, the family of Saint Catherine, who is also its Patron Saint. In any case, it was with a dragon-shaped machine that the members of this Contrada participated in the first "Bull Hunts" and were called "the men of the Dragon."

Sbandierata della Comparsa della Contrada del Drago in Piazza Matteotti


The territory of the Contrada del Drago coincides for two streets with the ancient Via Francigena. These are the right side (towards the Campo) of Via Montanini and Via Banchi di Sopra, up to Via dei Pontani. The other streets that define the district's life are Piazza Matteotti with the historic headquarter that includes the Oratory of Santa Caterina del Paradiso, the Sala delle Vittorie where the winning banners are kept, and the Baptismal Font by Vico Consorti, but also Via del Paradiso (placed of the so called "Costume Gallery"), and the Basilica of San Domenico adjacent to the current Società di Camporegio. Other important streets of our Contrada are Via della Sapienza, where the Municipal Library is located, Via di Camporegio, Via dei Termini, Via delle Terme, Via dei Malavolti, and Via Curtatone. The most characteristic alleys are those of Campaccio, della Rosa, del Cavalletto, and del Rustichetto. The horse stable is located in another alley, called "Vicolo della Palla a Corda". As reported by the Bando of Violante of Bavaria, which in 1730 by decree established the boundaries of the seventeen Contrade, the territory of the Drago is delineated by the following streets and buildings: From the church of San Domenico in Camporeggi inclusive, follow the road that leads to Sapienza on both sides, descend the slope on both sides until the parish church of Sant'Antonio exclusive, from there turn back onto the aforementioned Via della Sapienza, keep it all, and turning left, climb the alley to the Osteria della Rosa and, keeping to the left, pass under the arch facing Galli in the main street of Camollia, where again keeping to the left go until the turn called Cavallerizza and occupying all the houses on that side, including the Palazzo and Poggio Malavolti, convent and Via del Paradiso, return to Camporeggi and include Via del Pulcino and the road that from Camporeggi through the gardens leads to Lizza.


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisci elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullamco laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur. Duis aute irure reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint obcaecat cupiditat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Copyright 2024 Contrada del Drago - All rights reserved - v0.0.32